Welcome to this week’s edition of Random News for Book Lovers:
- J.R.R. Tolkien fans will love this endearing story from Letters of Note about a series of letters and cards he wrote to his young children, posing as Father Christmas. How cool would it be to get personalized Christmas cards from J.R.R. Tolkien?
- The Daily Beast gets to the heart of the matter on our enduring fascination with Jane Austen. Thanks to EneryVibes for bringing it to our attention.
- From what has to be the greatest-named blog ever, The Good Greatsby provides an amusing list of the shortcomings of Amazon’s Kindle. My favorite reason to dislike the Kindle…
“The Kindle, unlike a book, cannot be used to swat a mosquito. To be perfectly honest, a Kindle can be used to swat a mosquito, but only once.” (from The Good Greatsby)
- Room to Read reports on Cambodia’s development of nationwide library standards for its schools, a radical improvement in the educational system for this developing nation.
- Remember Beverly Cleary? At 95 she’s alive and kickin’. Enjoy this recent interview with the author and creator of Ramona Quimby in The Atlantic.
- And lastly I offer to you this video of comedienne Kristen Wiig reading the poetry of Suzanne Somers (yes, that Suzanne Somers), simply because I can. You’re welcome. Many thanks to Leesa’s Stories for bringing it to our attention.